Arranged Marriages Are Not Made In Heaven, Absolutely True !

If anyone says marriages are made in heaven, it's absolutely wrong. Arrange marriages are made by desirable complexion, good figure/physique and the most mandatory is pay packages. There are price tags decided for each profession and according to asset belonging to the groom.
Arranged marriages in India are a peculiar and complicated process. People look for a ‘soulmate’ to happily spend their life with, but they also have a certain set of unique expectations from the prospective bride or groom. Whether it is six-figure monthly salary or the colour of the complexion, arranged marriage proposal are rejected for weird reasons.
The whole premise of arranged marriages is based on the assumption that your parents and the elders of a house are more capable of choosing a partner for you. The concept of arranged marriages leave little or no choice with the individual, and apart from this, it views marriage as a necessity and not a choice. It’s constantly said that an arranged marriage isn’t a relationship between two people, but a tie between two families. 
Here in India, there is a widely popular belief that arranged marriages work or last longer than ‘love marriages.’ In arrange marriage women are told it’s their ‘job’ to keep their husbands happy and to do everything for them from cooking to washing. The whole concept of arranged marriages also puts the onus of making sacrifices, compromising, and making the marriage work on women.
How does it feel to be screened for marriage? The Arranged Marriage process is full of humiliation at the hands of suitors, and your own parents too.
I am writing this in anger.
I am writing this in grief.
I am writing this in frustration and I am writing this with disappointment too !
I am writing this to tell you boys that how lucky you are that you are born a boy, not a girl.
A middle class Indian family – an educated, cultured family – leaves no stone unturned when it comes to educating their children, be it a girl or a boy. But the difference begins when you are educated, and able to make choices.There comes a point when the same parents remind you that you are a girl.
It was someday in December 2018 when I looked at myself again in the mirror. My aunt was constantly pointing out that I must conceal my dark complexion, apply a better shade of lipstick, and tie my hair in a better way. I should wear traditional dress and the dress should make me look a bit tall.I needed to look the best. The boy and his family will soon arrive to meet me.
My mother always worried for me to spend some time with her so I that I could get a pre-marriage training, which I seemed to have been deprived of, having lived alone for the last ten years.
So there I was. The moment of truth came. The boy’s family had arrived.
His family was welcomed by my family. The question and answer round started. The boy's mother concern was primarily about my cooking.
My mother vehemently started defining my qualities and how, unlike other girls raised in the hostel, I have somehow learnt to cook as well.
I was sitting with my head down, just like a porcelain doll, being examined by these people who have agreed that I can be their daughter-in-law only if I meet certain criteria. The main criteria was the fees (dowry) which both set of parents have mutually agreed upon.
My parents had given me the best education, freedom, and support every time I required. But in this Marriage Market they forgot that their daughter is not a commodity. They need not pay these people for my marriage. But the truth is ugly. Reality, more crude. They console me by saying this is how Arranged Marriage works.
All these above mentioned things haunt me like anything and make me feel so distressed and helpless in life. It seems as if being born a girl child is like a sin or I can say its completely a sin.
I agree that life is not as easy as it seems to be but i becomes more difficult when you are a girl. I agree that each and every individual undergoes different phases of life but a girl has to face a lot of difficulties when she enters a new phase of life.
Each and every time she has to prove herself and has to make herself so versed and conditioned to fit in that phase of life. She has to fulfill each and everyone's expectation and has to pretend to be happy even if she is not. No person wants to get dominated but girls are always dominated and expected to be quite good even after that.
Most importantly, the role and status of women in the sphere of arranged marriages need to change and the change needs to come soon and has to be monumental in order for women to be treated fairly and not as objects or subordinates to their husbands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don’t just worry about grocery shops’ shelves. Worry about farmers as well.

Climate Change And Its Impact On Agriculture

SumArth redefining ‘Sons of the soil’ to ‘Daughters of the soil’