WOMEN NEED NOT CHANGE THEIR SURNAME AFTER MARRIAGE

I often wonder how easily women are expected to blend in with their matrimonial family, how they are expected to leave behind their maiden surname effortlessly while they take in a new identity – the identity of being someone’s wife, the identity of being the proud Mrs. X, Mrs. Y or Mrs. Z. Marriage for a woman entails a vast change in her life – from change in the place of residence to change in the family members to change in surname, while for a man it means simply a change in his relationship status.
I sometimes wonder as to why would I change my surname in future ,just because I would be married? It’s my father who got me educated and it’s because of my parents that I am standing on my own feet today. So why’ll I not keep my father’s surname in my service records?
Supporting the trend of changing surnames, people come to saying that even Priyanka Gandhi changed her surname and became Priyanka Vadra after her marriage. She did this in spite of the great legacy of the ‘Gandhi’ surname in India. Do you think that your father’s surname carries greater weightage than the ‘Gandhi’ surname?” I would love to answer them that she was "PRIYANKA GANDHI" and I am "SURBHI SHARMA" and it was completely Priyanka's choice to change her surname post marriage. It's my choice not to change my surname after my marriage.
Despite the fact that if a woman is the one who is bearing all the responsibilities for her child, still she is unable to give her surname to her child. But Why ??????
But I am hopeful that a day will surely come when a child will no longer require his/her father’s surname to carry for a lifetime. And I sincerely pray for that to happen.
And I am sure during the course of the next century, we’ll surely carve out a place where we’ll be able to choose our surname according to our own accord – be it our father’s surname, our mother’s maiden surname or our husband’s surname. May be then we’ll be able to pass on our own surnames to our children too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don’t just worry about grocery shops’ shelves. Worry about farmers as well.

Climate Change And Its Impact On Agriculture

SumArth redefining ‘Sons of the soil’ to ‘Daughters of the soil’